Goals for Weight Loss and Management 1,2
The following are general goals for weight loss and management:
- Reduce body weight
- Maintain a lower body weight over the long term
- Prevent further weight gain (a minimum goal)
The following are general advice for nutrition and dieting2
- Decrease energy density of foods and drinks
- Decrease the size of food portions
- Avoid snacking between meals
- Do not skip breakfast and avoid eating in the night time
- Manage and reduce episodes of loss of control or binge eating.
1. NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative. 2000;00-4084:1-94.
2. Yumuk V. et al. Obes Facts 2015;8:402–424.